Errors when compiling mintty-1.1.3

I was trying to compile mintty 1.1.3 (so that I can make some changes)
but I got the errors quoted below.

> gcc wininput.c -c -MMD -MP  -include std.h -std=gnu99 -Wall -Wextra -Werror -Wundef -march=i686 -mtune=atom -DNDEBUG -fomit-frame-pointer -O2
> wininput.c: In function ‘win_key_down’:
> wininput.c:707:10: error: the omitted middle operand in ?: will always be ‘true’, suggest explicit middle operand [-Werror=parentheses]
>          ?: layout()
>           ^
> wininput.c:710:52: error: the omitted middle operand in ?: will always be ‘true’, suggest explicit middle operand [-Werror=parentheses]
>        key != ' ' && alt_code_key(key - 'A' + 0xA) ?:
>                                                     ^
> wininput.c:716:46: error: the omitted middle operand in ?: will always be ‘true’, suggest explicit middle operand [-Werror=parentheses]
>        key <= '9' && alt_code_key(key - '0') ?:
>                                               ^
> wininput.c:718:50: error: the omitted middle operand in ?: will always be ‘true’, suggest explicit middle operand [-Werror=parentheses]
>        term.modify_other_keys <= 1 && ctrl_key() ?:
>                                                   ^

I cd into /usr/src and extract the source using tar.  Then I cd into the
mintty-1.1.3 directory that tar created and then I run `make`

I have the usual things needed for compiling and have successfully built
other software.  I've attached the output from cygcheck as the
"reporting guidelines" say to.  Anyway, I would say that this looks like
a problem with the source code rather than my environment.

Suggestions are welcome.  I guess I could try and solve it by reading
the source but that sounds like a lot more effort.  I guess my ultimate
question is: how did you compile this for release?

P.S.  I'm not subscribed so please CC me.