Re: setting cygwin terminal (mintty) title from a very remote system

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 12:13:07PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
>>
>> echo -ne '\e]0;Title\a'
>>

> [The] title will stay the same if something intercepts that sequence, and it
> will probably appear to stay the same if something resets it immediately
> (many Bash shell prompts do just that).

The fact that something else might reset it *immediately after* you
set it is really important. It can make it look like something you are
trying doesn't work **when it actually does work**.

I would suggest using a command like this to test setting it:

echo -ne "\e[0;This is a test\a"; sleep 5

That way, the title, if it's getting set at all, will remain set for a
few seconds before it gets reset, so you can see it. That will allow
you to tell the difference between a problem where the escape sequence
is never reaching mintty because something is eating it, and one where
the escape sequence is getting through just fine, but something, like
the bash PS1 prompt, is immediately overwriting it.

Good luck.