Re: find_fast_cwd warning persists after uninstalling (Windows 8.1 x64)

On Apr 14 04:37, Mayank Patke wrote:
> I decided to uninstall Cygwin because, frankly, I don't use it that
> much and because the find_fast_cwd warning in the output of certain
> commands has been interfering with other programs which don't expect
> the warning in the output.

The problem is this:  We don't have a clue under what circumstances
this message is printed.  We know *why* it's printed, but none of
the core maintainers and none of the package maintainers seem to have
a system which suffers from this problem.

I already wrote two mails on this to this list.  I'm running Windows
8.1 32 and 64 bit, but on my machines, the find_fast_cwd warning is
not printed, so the find_fast_cwd mechanism works as expected.

To get rid of this message, either I have to know how to reproduce it,
or somebody with this problem would have to debug a teeny little bit
of assembler code inside the Windows ntdll.dll file.

To be able to reproduce it, I would need somebody who can reproduce the
problem and being prepared to experiment a bit.  It *seems* the problem
is introduced by some Windows update package which is not installed by
Windows Update by default.  If we can find out which package this is,
I could debug this and get rid of the message.

But, alas, nobody has offered to help so far.

> However, if I run commands like "ls" and "make" (included by
> other collections, such as MinGW), I continue to get the find_fast_cwd
> warning.

In your MingW environment, you're probably using the tools from MSYS2.
MSYS2 is just a copy of Cygwin with a few tweaks for easier integration
with a native MingW toolchain.  MSYS2 is using the find_fast_cwd code
as well, so you're getting the same warning.

> What do I need to do in order to prevent this message from showing up
> again? (Is there some remnant of Cygwin that I still need to remove?)

The Cygwin remnant is probably MSYS2.  Other than that, if somebody
would take a heart trying to find out what introduced the problem on
his or her machine, we could eventually get rid of it completely.

Corinna

Red Hat