Re: We need steenking patches (Re: Cygwin kill utility...)

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 01:15:12AM +0200, Peter Rosin wrote:
>On 2014-04-09 19:05, Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> And, this gives me the opportunity to say a belated thank-you to you and
>> other people who have managed, despite all odds, to contribute.
>>
>> Here's a knocked together list from the last 13-or-so years of Cygwin.
>
>*snip*
>
>> Apologies if I missed anyone.

Huh.  I see your name right there in the ChangeLog.  I'm not sure how my
sed script missed you.  Sorry.

>Apology accepted. The reason I'm not contributing more is the requirement
>to assign copyright to a for-profit organization. Sorry.

Yeah.  That bothered me a little when I first had to do it and, I have
to admit, it bothered me when I was at Red Hat and it bothers me now
too.  I think you've hit on a real barrier to entry there and since we
now have a dataset of two rather than one we can really claim that we're
right.

I have to ask you have to do something similar with the FSF.  Would that
be an issue for you too?  Probably not since it isn't a for-profit entity.

The other odd thing is that newlib has no requirements for an assignment
and it is an integral part of Cygwin so I have to wonder how Red Hat
reconciles that.

cgf