Re: Still testing needed: New passwd/group AD/SAM integration

On 04/10/2014 01:46 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> * cygserver now provides system-wide passwd/group entry caching.
>>
>>   All processes started *after* cygserver will try to fetch passwd
>>   and group entries from cygserver.  While this is probably a bit
>>   slow at the start, the longer cygserver runs, the more information
>>   is present and later started processes will get the information
>>   with all due speed.
>
> Does this mean there is no caching without cygserver running?
>
>> * Support for Cygwin user names different from the Windows username.
>
> This one always seemed a bit odd to me.  The only use I could think up
> is if your Windows username contains non-ASCII or spaces and you'd want
> to avoid dealing with that within Cygwin.

Windows allows usernames with spaces.  POSIX says such names are
non-portable (although it doesn't go so far as to completely exclude
them).  Furthermore, tilde expansion does NOT work for user names with
spaces.

I've had machines in the past where my windows username had a space; the
ability to remap my passwd file to a non-space name was a lifesaver.