Re: We need steenking patches (Re: Cygwin kill utility...)

On Tue, Apr 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> Instructions on how to check out the source are available at the cygwin web
> site, just like they are at every open source site.  Go to the cygwin web
> page and look to the left.  You'll see "Contributing" and "Source in CVS".
> Both lead you to instructions.  "Contributing" is intended to help with
> providing patches.  "Source in CVS" is obvious.

I dont think you "get" my and perhaps other people's workflow. It goes like this

1. discover something that isnt working
2. go to web repo
3. search existing issues
4. search current codebase, online, to find offending file/line
5. if it looks like something I can fix then clone/checkout

Notice a checkout is not even done until step 5, with steps 1-4 all being done
through web interface. This is important. Your users (read: potential devs)
should not have to do a clone just to see the problem in the code.

Of course once I reach step 5 things are much smoother because you can work with
the local codebase. However if you cannot offer steps 1-4 then you are only
"tying one hand behind your back" and all the whining on the mailing list wont
fix that.