Re: 1.7.29-2: Exception from cygwin_gethostname

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> On 4/7/2014 3:09 PM, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Apr  7 11:49, David Rothenberger wrote:
>>> I'm having a problem doing hostname resolution on one of my Windows
>>> 7 64 machines after updating cygwin to 1.7.29-2. I first noticed it
>>> with ssh. I get an error whenever I try to ssh to any machine using
>>> a hostname; it complains the hostname cannot be resolved.
>>>
>>> An strace of ssh shows an exception occuring right after the call to
>>> cygwin_gethostname is logged.
>>>
>>>     96   58624 [main] ssh 3536 cygwin_gethostname: name daver-pc
>>> --- Process 3536, exception 000006ba at 000007FEFDD4940D
>>>    860   59484 [main] ssh 3536 __set_errno: void san::leave():315
>>> setting errno 14
>>
>> Exception 0x6ba is "The RPC server is unavailable".  I have no idea why
>> this exception is generated at all on your machine.  Usually this is a
>> first-chance exception only, which can be ignored, but this is the first
>> time I ever saw this and in the above scenario there's no such exception
>> expected, so it doesn't get ignored.
>>
>> Oh well, it would have been helpful if this had been encountered last
>> week :(
>
> Good point.  David, can you go back to last week and see if you can still
> reproduce it? ;-)

I wish! There were a few important changes to the system starting last
Friday and I dearly wish I could go back to before those changes.

On Friday, I accidentally installed OpenCandy, a PUP adware "program". I
spent some time on Saturday cleaning that with a host of free malware
removals. This removed some registry keys, but I'm pretty sure it was
all safe. Pretty sure...

Also on Saturday I replaced two old HDDs with SSDs. This made my system
a lot faster, but I haven't seen any problems associated with it aside
from the OS complaining about not getting a network connection right
after it boots. I think this is just because it boots so much faster now.

I /should/ have tested the snapshots when the call went out. I wished I
did now, because then I would know if this issue was related to any of
the problems I had late last week. This is a work machine and we're
super-busy, so I was hesitant to experiment with snapshots. But I
learned my lesson; I'll be testing snapshots when Chris or Corinna ask
for testing from now on, on all my machines.

"It's when they say 2 + 2 = 5 that I begin to argue."
                -- Eric Pepke