Re: Trouble with running cygwin dll on Vortex86MX+ CPU

Renà Berber <r.berber <at> computer.org> writes:

> What you usually do on those cases:
>
> 1. On the build host, run ldd (or cygcheck) on the program, see the full
> list of dynamic libraries used.
>
> 2. Try to do the same on the target host.  Yes, ldd does depend on
> cygwin1.dll, so it may not run.  cygcheck doesn't depend on the
> cygwin1.dll .

I'll do some more of this next week when back at work. I did do cygcheck -s
-v -r on the target (from the Cygwin Reporting Problems page) but it
produced no output.

>  > I can do the same on any desktop PC running Windows XP, or 7, my "Hello
>  > World" runs as expected.
>
> For completeness sake, you mean a PC where Cygwin has not been installed?

That is correct

>  > In discussing this with the embedded PC supplier, he suggests that the
>  > cygwin1.dll is exiting because it doesn't recognise the CPU. Is this
>  > explanation plausible?
>
> I don't know, but I doubt it.  As long as it is compatible with the
> Intel x86 architecture, and Windows is a "complete" version, it should
work.

That is what I had expected...

> Cross-compilation from Cygwin to Win32 (MinGW, MinGW-w64) is still
> possible, just needs a different set of tools which are available in the
> Cygwin distributed packages.  Actually is a better option in your case,
> unless you really want to use a long list of libraries which may not be
> ported to Win32, or build programs intended for Unix/Linux.

My reason for using Cygwin was so as to re-use code originally written for
Linux with POSIX serial ports etc.

Thank you for your help.