Re: Please stop sending email to corinna-cygwin and lh-cygwin

Christopher Faylor-8 wrote
> I know that this is a pointless exercise but I'll say it anyway: people
> who think that they can have a private chat with Corinna or Larry by
> sending email to what seem to be their private email addresses will just
> show up in the spam trap, possibly even causing spamassassin to think
> that they are a spammer.
>
> We mention in multiple places that cygwin-related issues should go to
> this list.  So, please don't bother trying to send private email unless
> you've been specifically asked to do so.  You'll also be doing me a
> favor because I won't have to spend time cleaning out the spam traps.

Well, here goes nothing.

I am happy to admit that I'm one of those persons. The problem is exactly
that what you claim we "should do" versus what is actually possible to do.
If any of the list maintainers had actually bothered to try to register to
these
email lists, you would probably have found out that your spam filters are
set so
high, that it is impossible for normal people to even register to these
lists!

So then what are you supposed to do? In addition you do not mention anywhere
what to do and who to contact, when you have problems registering to this
list.

Trust me, I have tried in this last week to get properly registered using at
least 3
different email addresses (one gmail and two professional ones under the
domain
names of the companies I work for.) Every time the response is that the
confirmation emails are blocked due to anti-spam score of over 500. I should
also mention that I am a member of several other email lists with these
accounts,
and nver had any problem with these before. So I thought perhaps my email
domains are located on a shared and spammy subdomain. But that investigation
was also negative.

So to conclude, it is really your own fault that people are desperate to try
contact anyone on this list, to help them out. I can't begin to imagine how
many
bug reports you are loosing because of people not being able to contact you
or
report their findings. I have now given up, as anything that shows here has
the
warning that  it has not been approved by the list.

Finally, I find it very hard to understand why the Cygwin developers keep on
insisting on using this outdated (and obviously failing) 1990's email lists
for their
main communication channel.

Good Luck and Best Wishes,

Gene Rederer
(CEO, developer and Cygwin user since ~10 years)