Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

On Mar  2 14:20, Frank Fesevur wrote:
> > That's not really a problem but a case of "it is as it is".  To get the
> > user and group info, Cygwin has to contact the DC and/or GC and then
> > runs into a timeout.  Right now, the LDAP timeout is set to 3 seconds.
> > I don't know yet if it's such a bright idea to lower this timeout value.
>
> I understand why it happens. And three seconds are not the problem.
>
> It is just a bit confusing to activate the shortcut and for 3 seconds
> nothing seems to happen. First time I double-clicked again because I
> though it wasn't working at all. Obviously a bit later two terminal
> showed up. If mintty would should up empty and "wait" those three
> seconds before something happens it is more clear it just takes some
> startup time. But maybe that is more a mintty problem.

No, this is not mintty's fault.  You have to understand that the
request for information from the DC is called before the actual
application had any chance to initialize,  This happens before
the application has, in fact, been called from the Cygwin DLL.

Therefore, if the three seconds are a burden, there are three choices
going forward:

- We reduce the timeout to 1 second in general, which could be a problem
  when utilizing a slow VPN conncetion to the DC,

- We allow the user to specify a timeout value and set the default to
  1 second.

- We stick to the 3 seconds and users should switch to files (/etc/passwd
  /etc/group) when being offline from their DC.

I'm really not sure what the best way is, I guess we as a community have
to dice this out somehow.

Corinna

Red Hat