Re: Clearing the buffer after quitting LESS, MAN, VIM etc.

Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> Getting that kind of functionality in the Windows console is tricky but
> I think it should be there in the latest snapshot.  I also fixed some
> problems with some of the escape sequences that scroll the screen.
>
> There is still one more difference between Cygwin and, e.g., xterm
> though.  The scroll buffer is still there when you enter a full screen
> session like vim or less.  So you can scroll up to it and really cause
> confusion.  It's possible to fix that behavior but it would be really
> tricky.  I'm not sure I want to complicate the console handling code
> for this one corner case.
>
> The new behavior is in the latest snapshot.
>
> http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>
> cgf

Hi Christopher,

Thank you very much for your interest. But I have to say, it's now worse
than it was before. I'm using the latest snapshot (2014-02-24).

My findings:

1. Clear screen (CTRL + L) now works better, it simply scrolls to the end
of the scrollback buffer and appends to it. But the screen isn't cleared,
what should be the main purpose of the "clear screen" :) After clearing of
screen, current prompt is on the most bottom line of screen with scrollback
buffer above. I think that it's should be on the first line of screen and
the screen bellow should be empty. So add of scroll screen_height lines
down should be enough to resolve this.

2. Scrollback buffer seems to be fine until I use LESS/VIM etc.
(alternative screen). Than it's messed. Alternative screen shouldn't
influence the scrollback buffer, I think.

3. It's incompatible with screen (screen manager). Status line of screen is
overwritten with screen content and when screen content reaches the most
bottom line of screen, it doesn't scroll, so any additional content is
hidden.

- - - - - - - - - -

I really don't know much about how that command line related things works
in Linux, but could it be possible that you work with screen and scrollback
buffer wrong way? I mean, maybe there are some rules, how to work with
screen content and buffer, so it would work everywhere (e.g. in the screen
manager) rather that trying to fix bugs, write workarounds and hacks.

I wonder that nobody else have similar issues, because this is absolutely
essential, when you work with terminal, I think. I had none of these
problems, when I was using smaller screen size. Everything started with my
new laptop with HD display, because I used to have terminal window in
fullscreen mode.

Thank you for your time and have a nice day.

--
 Dawid Ferenczy
 http://ferenczy.cz