Re: Testers needed: New passwd/group handling in Cygwin

Hi Corinna,

>> Now that the XP bug is out of the way ... I would like come back to the change in
>> the output of 'id'.
>>
>> Obviously, everything after '545(Users),' in the output of 'id' are "well-known"
>> concepts (Windows) to you (but, not to me) ...
>
>I explained that in my mail and I already wrote
>http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/ntsec.html at one point.
[snip]

Yes, yes, yes :-) I have read all that a long time ago ...

>The group concept in Windows isn't much different from the group concept in Unix,
> except that Windows applications don't really care for the owning group of objects,
> typically.

Agreed.
[snip]

>> But as an Unix adept, I do not really care about the stuff after '545(Users),' in
>> the output of 'id', especially in case of a passwd file and a group file.
>>
>> To me the stuff after '545(Users),' is ... well, superfluous (most certainly, most
>> of the time).

>I don't know about you, but on my Linux box I get something like this:
>
>  $ id
>  uid=500(corinna) gid=11125(vinschen) groups=11125(vinschen),33(tape),
>  100(users),107(qemu),486(wireshark),1000(cvs),11126(libvirt)
>
>Most of the time I don't care about the supplementary groups after my
>primary group either, but that doesn't mean I don't want id to print
>them, nor are they unimportant.

Agreed, the supplementary groups I observe on Unix are relevant to me ... I know
that out of experience.

The difference is, that all supplementary groups show up in the /etc/group file on
my Unix box ...

However, as you know, the supplementary group to which I referred above do NOT show
up in my /etc/group file on Cygwin (they show up in SAM ... somewhere).

... and I do not care, as these groups are NOT relevant to me as a Cygwin-only user
of the Windows operating system (using passwd and group files).

Sorry, for having a different opinion on the matter.

Henri