Re: Installer cannot write to Cygwin's /usr/local/etc

On 02/16/2014 02:14 AM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
> On 16/02/2014 03:12, Gerry Reno wrote:
>> I have a Windows MSI installer that first loads Cygwin and then has a deferred copy of some files into /usr/local/bin
>> and /usr/local/etc.
>>
>> The copies into /usr/local/bin succeed fine.
>>
>> The copies into /usr/local/etc always get Access denied.
>>
>> I've tried swapping them and same behavior.  The files that would copy into /usr/local/bin now would not copy into
>> /usr/local/etc.
>>
>> I'm seeing this behavior on Windows 7 and Windows 2008R2 w/UAC.
>>
>> The installer prompts the user for elevated privileges to deal with UAC.
>>
>> Is there some underlying difference in the way that /usr/local/bin and /usr/local/etc are configured in Cygwin?
>

> it should be no difference.
> However you can check the Windows ACL with
>
> $ cd /usr/local
>
> /usr/local
> $ getfacl bin
> # file: bin
> # owner: marco
> # group: Administrators
> user::rwx
> group::r-x
> mask:rwx
> other:r-x
> default:user::rwx
> default:group::r-x
> default:other:r-x
>
> $ getfacl etc
> # file: etc
> # owner: marco
> # group: Administrators
> user::rwx
> group::r-x
> mask:rwx
> other:r-x
> default:user::rwx
> default:group::r-x
> default:other:r-x
>
> however, I will not be surprised if setup run by a MSI have additional
> limitation.
>
> Can you install the same "package" by setup alone to compare ?

I ran the acl checks and can find no difference between them which leads to this being yet another WiX/MSI installer
issue which doesn't surprise me.

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ getfacl bin
# file: bin
# owner: Administrator
# group: Domain Users
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ getfacl etc
# file: etc
# owner: Administrator
# group: Domain Users
user::rwx
group::r-x
mask:rwx
other:r-x
default:user::rwx
default:group::r-x
default:other:r-x

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ cacls bin
C:\cygwin\usr\local\bin SECRET\Administrator:F
                                      SECRET\Domain Users:R
                                      Everyone:R
                                      CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                      CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
                                      Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ cacls etc
C:\cygwin\usr\local\etc SECRET\Administrator:F
                                      SECRET\Domain Users:R
                                      Everyone:R
                                      CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)F
                                      CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)R
                                      Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)R

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ Icacls bin
bin SECRET\Administrator:(F)
    SECRET\Domain Users:(RX)
    Everyone:(RX)
    CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
    CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
    Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Administrator@WIN-SERVER /cygdrive/c/cygwin/usr/local
$ Icacls etc
etc SECRET\Administrator:(F)
    SECRET\Domain Users:(RX)
    Everyone:(RX)
    CREATOR OWNER:(OI)(CI)(IO)(F)
    CREATOR GROUP:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)
    Everyone:(OI)(CI)(IO)(RX)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

Thanks for your help.