Re: get rid of getpwent?

Greetings, Achim Gratz!

> Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> Caching is wonderful for the usual requests for single entries from the
>> DB, and for this we have already two caches, the LSA cache and Cygwin's
>> own cache.  But caching doesn't help at all when enumerating.

> Would it be possible to only look (for user name completion purposes) at
> the current user plus whatever is in %SystemDrive%\Users

Assuming, the mentioned directory at all exists... And contain relevant
data... And the data is full... and not redundant... Too many assumptions to
work from.

> plus whatever is found in /etc/passwd?
> That way no beans are spilled about domain users that couldn't be gleaned
> from the local file system and in almost all cases that's the list one would
> want to complete from anyway.

You have to know, how easy it is to confuse a user, who expect a file system
being solid source of security-related information.
Starting from profiles of nonexistent accounts, and down to relocated profiles
and complete absence of the directory in question at all.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...