Re: newt-0.52.16 patches for Cygwin

Ok, I'll try to figure out the NLS support.  (Post edit, read the end
if you don't care about how I got there, it's resolved).

I never really got into building configure scripts, but this is what
I'm seeing...

When I run configure, I see:

checking for gettext in -lc... no
checking for gettext in -lintl... no

and in configure.ac, I see:

AC_ARG_ENABLE([nls], [  --disable-nls           compile without NLS support])

if test "x$enable_nls" != "xno"; then
  AC_CHECK_LIB([c], [gettext], [ ], [
    AC_CHECK_LIB([intl], [gettext], [
      LIBS="-lintl"
      AC_SUBST([LIBS])], [
        if test "x$enable_nls" != "xcheck"; then
          AC_MSG_FAILURE([--enable-nls was specified, but the
configure check failed])
        else
          enable_nls=no
        fi
    ])
  ])
  if test "x$enable_nls" != "xno"; then
    AC_DEFINE([ENABLE_NLS], 1, [Define to 1 if NLS support is enabled])
  fi
fi

It looks to me like...

if c.gettext does not exist, check if intl.gettext exists. If that
exists, add intl to the lib list, otherwise throw the error I am
getting.

I would have thought it would detect it in intl, since that is
installed. But looking in the cygwin installer, I noticed
gettext-0.18.1.1-3 lib.  I installed that and the problem is now
resolved, only the standard config options for Cygwin are required,
thanks for pointing this out. So this would be another dependency in
addition to slang (and please let me know if I am doing this wrong, I
have a C background from almost 2 decades ago and I'm pretty good with
linux but I'm way rusty and out of date). ;-)

I also included the patch in case anyone wants to review it and tell
me if I am doing something bad.

Thanks!