Re: Clearing the buffer after quitting LESS, MAN, VIM etc.

Christopher Faylor <cgf-use-the-mailinglist-please <at> cygwin.com> writes:

> You're apparently not using a snapshot.
>
> cgf

Hi there!

I have discovered one more bug, which seems to be related:

I'm working with CLI having long scrollback buffer. I need to read
something a couple of pages back, so I scroll back in the buffer. Then I
clear the screen with CTRL + L. Screen is already cleared, but only the
visible screen in the middle of scrollback buffer. When content fulfills
the whole screen and it starts to scroll, the new output is mixed with
previous buffer content. Also scrollback buffer is now messed.

I think, that clearing of the screen with CTRL + L should work as in the
Linux terminal (e.g. Gnome Terminal). When I press CTRL + L in the middle
of scrollback buffer, it just jumps to the end of scrollback buffer.
Nothing is really deleted. This way, the whole scrollback buffer is
preserved and screen is also cleared. So, clearing the screen doesn't clear
anything in the fact. It just scrolls the content up until the whole screen
is blank and prompt is on the first line.

I think, that these bugs result from different philosophy of working with
buffer from the Linux terminal.

I could live with that, I just have to clear the screen on the end of
scrollback buffer only.

But messing of scrollback buffer, when I quit e.g. LESS as I described in
my previous post, is really pain. The buffer is messed so many times, how
much prompts are on the current screen. When I scroll one page back, screen
is repainted with buffer only from bottom to the most bottom prompt (that
means only few lines could be repainted, for example), where the most
bottom prompt is repainted too. So I scroll one more page back and it
repeats, but with another most bottom prompt. Until all prompts on the
current screen are repainted. Then it starts to scroll properly.

Thank you and have a nice day.

--
 Dawid Ferenczy
 http://ferenczy.cz