Re: Newbie Cygdrive questions

On 2/6/2014 8:05 PM, Mike Rushton wrote:
I see.

What would you say to this ?

I have to use an EDI translator - it runs under windows/dos and had unix
versions

I was trying this ... but the program needed to see the path of a config
file ... after the -cp switch.

/cygdrive/c/gentran61SA/lftran /cygdrive/c/gentran61sa/data/EDN -id -cp
/cygdrive/c/Gentran61SA

It gave me errors can not open file /cygdrive/c/Gentran61SA\ediprim.cfg.  It
was like the program could not figure out
what style of paths to use.

I changed it to :  (escape out of bash and run this code)

! c:/gentran61SA/lftran c:/gentran61sa/data/EDN -id -cp c:/Gentran61SA

and it worked perfectly.    Is there a better way to do this ?

Well, as I said before, Cygwin really prefers POSIX paths.  But, as you've
found out, non-Cygwin programs won't understand POSIX paths.  If you need
to interact with non-Cygwin programs, you'll either want to translate the
paths you send to them back to DOS-style paths with cygpath, set up links
that both Windows and Cygwin will understand without translation, or live
somewhat dangerously and use the path-style you found above.  I'm sure
there are other flavors you could find that could also work, at least in
some cases.  The cygpath route is the one approach that fully supports
POSIX paths and DOS-style paths.

--
Larry