Re: Cygwin installer could be much more better

On 29/01/2014 07:57, Steven Penny wrote:
On Tue, Jan 28, 2014 at 10:25 PM, Ilja Umov wrote
That's probably why MSYS2 is being developed:
https://ghc.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Building/Preparation/Windows/MSYS2

Well I have to say I was skeptical until I saw this

     $ bash --version
     GNU bash, version 4.2.45(1)-release (x86_64-pc-msys)

However this distribution is huge

     $ du -hs 'C:\cross64'
     763M    C:\cross64

Do they have some kind of installer/package manager yet?

"This page documents the instructions for setting up a Windows build using âmsys2, which is a fairly complete build of MinGW + the msys tools. [cut].
It's also smaller and has a convenient package manager, pacman."

I like the "pacnam" name.

However, coming back to the original request:

Cygwin includes, like any Linux/BSD distrubution, a large amount
of packages of all different categories:
- compilers (C, fortran, C++..)
- script (Bash, Perl, Python,...)
- MAth (Octave, glpk, R, GMP, ...)
- Simulation (ngspice, gnucap...)
- Database (sqlite, postgres, DB,..)
- X Window system

No sane one need all of them (~ 11 GB as Warren recently tested
http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2014-01/msg00273.html )

While Crome as single application has a single click setup,
if you want to add any of the several ADD-ONs you need to
add separatly.