Re: AdminCygwin Release

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 04:35:47PM +0100, BGINFO4X wrote:

>>>Yes, I'm sorry. I will move the discussion to cygwin-talk list if you
>>>don't mind.
>>
>> Actually, I do mind.  The cygwin-talk list isn't intended to be a forum
>> to discuss other cygwin releases.
>
>Well, is there any cygwin-list to talk about this?

No.  The cygwin mailing lists are intended to talk about the version of
Cygwin distributed and maintained by the people responsible for Cygwin.

Even cygwinports has its own mailing list.

>>>I TOTALLY agree with this.
>>
>>You may agree with this but that won't stop people from being confused.
>
>>I still think this is a bad idea.  I know what you're trying to do.
>>You are basically trying to provide a solution using tools that you
>>more or less understand rather than trying to work within the existing
>>(admittedly crude) release structure to provide benefit to everyone who
>>uses Cygwin.
>
>I'm sorry, but this is not true: I only want to give comunity a "base
>package" of something that I already have.

You want to fork Cygwin and make it available via an alternate install
method rather than try to work to provide something like that via
setup.exe.

I think you've explained what you want to do enough not.  I'm officially
calling this off-topic.  I don't think there is any reason to discuss
this any further.

cgf