Re: Reduce noise in dependency declaration during uninstall in setup.exe

Greetings, Thrall, Bryan!

>> Actually I'm working on a method to get rid of /etc/passwd and
>> /etc/group.  I have a partially working implementation now, which
>> generates passwd and group entries by fetching the infos from Windows on
>> the fly, compatible to the uids/gids and user/group names to SFU/Interix.

> That's a really cool change. How will I customize my Cygwin user name (for
> convenient 'ssh server' instead of 'ssh user@server') and shell without
> /etc/passwd, though? (I'd include home directory
> in that list, except I know I can just set $HOME)

You can set $USER the same way, you know?
But that's a wrong way to go. IMO.
You are supposed to be yourself, means, your login name.
Else you'd have alot of stuff mishandled.

But the change is indeed good.
I hope that would solve the user/group encoding issues when using terminals
with different charset.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...