Re: problem -- cygwin doesn't allow remounting of root; running 32-bit progs from 64-bit cygwin

On 1/13/2014 9:04 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
So how can can I get mount to allow me to remount
root -- i.e.:
mount C:\ /

(when I do it, I either get perm problems OR a message about
it being unable to figure out the type:

/usr/bin> mount C:\\ /
mount: warning: couldn't determine mount type.
mount: /: Operation not permitted

Have you referred to the Users Guide on this topic?

<http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html#mount-table>

The relevant portion is here:

  A correct root directory is quite essential to the operation of Cygwin. A
  default root directory is evaluated at startup so a fstab entry for the
  root directory is not necessary. If it's wrong, nothing will work as
  expected.  Therefore, the root directory evaluated by Cygwin itself is
  treated as an immutable mount point and can't be overridden in
  /etc/fstab... unless you think you really know what you're doing. In this
  case, use the override flag in the options field in the /etc/fstab file.
  Since this is a dangerous thing to do, do so at your own risk.

--
Larry