RE: Bringing up NFS server on 64 bits

 Hello!

> Thanks for working on that.  It's highly appreciated.  Did you already
> make yourself familiar with Cygwin package maintainance(*)?

 Yes, i did. However, perhaps you'll call me a bad guy, but the answer to the first question:

 * Do you have the time to maintain the package?

 is "sorry, but likely no". I happen to have time only episodically. What obligations does this put on me exactly ? For example, does this mean that i must keep the package up to date and sync up with the mainstream ?
 Actually i have come into this only because i sometimes need NFS server myself. I work with embedded Linux systems, and sometimes i boot them up over NFS.

> (3) sounds right to me.  As for NIS, I don't think this is important,
> especially not for the NFS server.  In theory the OS (Windows)
> decouples the NFS server from having to look for NIS stuff by itself.
> Account info should be available via the OS (Cygwin) calls anyway and
> worse, assuming the NFS server fetches info directly via NIS, the
> entire user/group -> uid/gid -> SID mapping might be screwed up.

 No, this doesn't have anything to do with NFS server at all. It's about rpcbind, transport-independent replacement for portmap.
 I have examined ONC docs on Oracle's web site and now i have a little clue about this magic code. portmapper has a capability to perform indirect calls. This means that instead of querying for port number and sending direct request to the program you want to talk with, you can ask portmapper to do this instead of you. This code forcibly disables indirect calls for some things which were considered too dangerous by the author. However it looks like the whole ONC RPC is a security nightmare by design.
 By the way, does anybody know who is the original author of this NFS server ? Where is upstream repository ? I failed to find one.

Kind regards,
Pavel Fedin
Expert Engineer
Samsung Electronics Research center Russia