Re: setting up a minimal TeXLive?

On 11/25/2013 11:02 AM, Sivaram Neelakantan wrote:

I'd like to use TeXLive under cygwin for my LaTeX work; What are the
minimal packages that I need to get going?  And how do I update
specific packages when new versions are announced on CTAN?

My recommendations for getting started are near the end of the release announcement:

  http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2013-06/msg00030.html

I recommend *not* updating CTAN packages between releases of TeX Live unless there is a bug that's impeding your work or a new feature that you need. If that happens, you can send email to the cygwin list and I'll either update the corresponding texlive-collection-* package or give you further instructions.

If you feel that you must be on the bleeding edge and have the latest version of every CTAN package, then you should install TeX Live directly from TUG (http://www.tug.org/texlive/). It comes equipped with a package manager "tlmgr" that allows you to update as often as you want.

Ken