Re: emacs-w32 24.3-7 aborts frequently using TRAMP

On 11/18/2013 3:53 PM, SDS wrote:
Update on the session that produced this error earlier:

On 11/18/2013 3:14 PM, SDS wrote:
More information about Lisp errors. I got a different Lisp error while
leaving emacs-w32 -Q with TRAMP in the background. Output from the Lisp
Debugger is shown below:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Lisp nesting exceeds
`max-lisp-eval-depth'")
 seconds-to-time(0.5)
 timer-relative-time((21130 28177 985108 200000) 0.5 0 nil)
 timer-inc-time([t 21130 28177 985108 0.5 blink-cursor-timer-function
nil nil 200000] 0.5 0)
 timer-event-handler([t 21130 28177 985108 0.5
blink-cursor-timer-function nil nil 200000])

First is from time-date.el, the last three are from timer.el.

[...]

The steps I used to reproduce this are given below:
1) Run emacs-w32 -Q & in bash
2) M-x toggle-debug-on-error to enable the Emacs Lisp Debugger
3) C-x d to open a directory in Dired
4) Specify a remote directory
5) After the Dired buffer loads, open a file in the remote directory
with <RET>
6) Minimize the Emacs window and wait

Thanks for the clear instructions. I can reproduce the Lisp errors, but so far I haven't seen an abort. I've had one session running for about 24 hours.

I'll look into the Lisp errors when I get a chance, but I wonder if there's something else going on (BLODA?) that's causing the abort on your system. Do you have access to a Windows computer that doesn't have Symantec Endpoint Protection installed?

By the way, there have been some recent changes in the way emacs handles the blinking cursor. One of the changes turns off the timer for the blinking cursor when emacs is idle, so it's possible that the problem is already fixed in the emacs trunk. I'll look into this also.

Ken