Re: Problem with latest setup-x86.exe

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> > Achim Gratz writes:

> > > The patch WJFFM.
> > >

> > But in line 266 of main.cc set_cout() is still called
> > if unattended_mode -q (or --help) is set.
>
> Sure.  The problem was not the set_cout function but overloading the
> fopen function.

FWIW -- what brought me to line 266 was that I started playing
with the latest setup-x86.exe (The 17-Nov. 2013 one) in a cmd
window and noticed that the problem only existed with -q or --help.
I normally use setup.exe with -q so I was seeing this all the time.
So after looking at main.cc it was too hard to pass up line 266
as a possible culprit.

A bit more interesting though is that later I started using the
Windows debugger under the cmd window on that same setup-x86.exe
and could see the null pointer problem, but of course there were
not symbols or source.  So, for grins I decided to decompress
it with "upx -d" and voila, it fixed the problem as long as I ran
the uncompressed version.  For further grins, I decided to
try compressing it again and most of the common options brought
the problem back -- BUT -- if I used "--compress-exports=0"
in upx, then I got a compressed version that doesn't have the
problem.  Even with --best and --compress-exports=0 I get
a version that works.

So, this is just FWIW -- other executables compress with upx and
work just fine. Previous versions of setup (prior to the incantations
of the current version) work just fine -- so not being a windows
person any more that I absolutely have to, I'm not going to pursue
this any further, but this might be useful information for someone someday.