updating TeXLive packages exceeds Windows path length limit

Hi,

I've just downloaded the latest setup-x86.exe to update my Cygwin installation on a Windows XP box. While setup downloads the required packages, it stops with a message saying:

Can't open \\servername\path\to\Downloads\[url_of_mirror]\path\to\texlive-collection-documentation-base-20130529-1.tar.bz2.tmp for writing: No such file or directory

Problem is, if I try to create a file with the same name manually in Windows Explorer, I apparently hit the maximum allowed path length just after the 't' in 'tmp'. In other words, the package filename is exactly two characters too long on my system and using my closest mirror. Setup exits without updating the system.

Is there a way to fix this? I know that I can try and find a mirror with a shorter URL, but I expect others to bump into the same problem sooner or later.

regards,
Markus

--
Markus Hoenicka