Re: Bind server

wynfield writes:
> Looking in /etc  there is no  named.conf file.  Is this an oversight in
packaging?

> Any advice on getting named up and running (I don't have the expertise yet
to quickly write up a named.conf
> file?)

named.conf is going to be different for every installation.  It's where you
define the domains that bind will serve.  There are lots of details that can
be gotten wrong.  If you get certain specific ones wrong your bind server
can be victimized into participating in DNS attacks.

Why do you need to run a DNS server?  Is this for a local network only or do
you intend to expose it to the Internet?

The knowledge needed to correctly set up named.conf is kind of specialized.
 If we have some ISP admins on the list, maybe you'll get more specific help
but your best bet for something like this is an O'Reilly book or maybe the
ISC website (ISC being the folks who supply/support bind).

..mark