Re: vi stealing SYSTEM-owned permissions and ownership

Thanks for the input, guys.

I think I have new information on the stealing of ownership. Below test has been
performed on the Apache folder, placed in the Windows Program Files folder by the
Apache msi installer:

"/cygdrive/c/Program Files (x86)/Apache Group/Apache2/"

But if I perform the same test in my Cygwin home directory, vi behaves beautifully.

So, I was thinking this difference must be related to the Windows ACL assigments on
the "Program Files" folder.
Maybe vi is confused within this folder, because it is a system folder which
recursively forces extra permissions on its subfolders.

This means I could solve the issue by telling the Apache installer to put the files
in a "neutral" folder, like:

/cygdrive/c/apache/

But then the question would stay, nagging in my mind: why would vi be confused and
nano (and notepad.exe by the way) not?

Also, Larry Hall pointed out:

"When I looked at the information provided, I was left with the distinct impression
that the 'vi' in use was not a Cygwin version.  The fact that the file edited with
it had no POSIX permissions was a red flag for me."

I initially used the original version of "vi" that came with the standard distro of
Cygwin. When I noticed the problem, I installed "vim" and went on, testing with
that.

I really, really would like to persue this issue some more in the direction Larry
points to.

Cincerely,
Daniel