RE: SIGKILL and TerminateProcess

> Sorry but we aren't going to redesign the signal delivery mechanism for
> your use case.

It wasn't exactly a redesign I was asking about;  rather an addition
(or an improvement, if you will) for only the case of that one KILL
signal, which is already a special thing in all aspects even on UNIX.

> Cygwin does not guarantee delivery of signals to processes which are
> calling Windows API functions directly.  If you do that you should be
> prepared to deal with problems.

Windows Sleep() was just a convenient dummy to demonstrate how SIGKILL does
not kill.  CYGWIN lets me access some Windows-specific APIs (the same way one
would do by using some UNIX-flavor-specific libraries), without having to port them
all to CYGWIN first.  Such code becomes a real problem in pipelining because
it cannot be reliably managed from other processes (which would all require
modifications to do TerminateProcess tricks throughout; or use the special
CYGWIN command-like utility) where just kill(9) would have been sufficient..

Anton Lavrentiev
Contractor NIH/NLM/NCBI