Re: popen: Permission denied - error opening man page

On 10/25/2013 5:19 PM, Balaji Venkataraman wrote:
On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 12:21 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

Perhaps not but it's worth checking your shells at least.

Not sure I understand exactly what you mean.

The thread you pointed to suggested that a shell had permissions
problems.  While I agree that it doesn't quite sound like your
issue, there's no harm in investigating and trying the solution
proposed.

I'd recommend sending a full problem report.

Sorry I meant to attach cygcheck output. Find it now - it has been
'cleaned-up' to remove personal info - replaced by '<EDITED>'

Try removing this mount point:

C:\cygwin\bin    /bin      system  binary,cygexec

Also try resetting your cygdrive mount to the default:

cygdrive prefix  /cygdrive  user    binary,noacl,posix=0,auto

You can also try running the problematic command directly from a
DOS prompt with 'strace' to see if it uncovers anything suspect.

I started a cmd.exe console. cd-ed to C:\cygwin\bin and ran:
.\strace.exe man.exe ls > strace-man-ls.out 2>&1

My mistake.  I thought you would have c:\cygwin\bin in your path
for the DOS prompt (or give the full path to 'man.exe').  Without
this, you picked up the 'man.exe' that's part of your Windows
installation of CMake.  Assuming the above suggestions don't
help, perhaps another strace of c:\cygwin\bin\man.exe will show
something useful.

--
Larry