Re: setup.ini dependency graph?

On 25/10/13 17:12, Charles Wilson wrote:
Does anybody have a script or a tool that can parse a setup.ini and generate a dependency graph? I'm using pmcyg to create a stripped-down standalone installation CD and it's too big, so I'm trying to figure out where the culprit is that's pulling in so much stuff...

Oooo - this sounds like fun. I've knocked up some (very bad) perl that gives you what you need. It generates a graphviz file that you can pipe to 'dot' to generate the dependency graph in whatever format you require. Put the perl script and your 'setup.ini' file in the same directory and type:

    ./graph_setup_ini.pl | dot -Tpdf -osetup.pdf

I did this in Fedora 19; if you want this to work in Cygwin then you'll need to install graphviz from CygwinPorts.

Your problem here is Big Data: Cygwin has 3041 packages, and any dependency graph with this number of nodes is going to look a mess. It also takes a while to process the data. Oh, and some PDF viewers won't display the output file (LibreOffice Draw was the only tool I have that managed it). However, if your starting point is a stripped down Cygwin then you might be OK.

Hope this helps,

Dave.