Re: 1.7.25: problem with the cd command in ksh

On 7 October 2013 06:13, Francis ANDRE wrote:
> Le 07/10/2013 00:33, Christopher Faylor a écrit :
>> More likely it is just because ksh automatically prepends the current
>> working directory to something that it considers to be relative.
>>
>> I know I'm a broken record on the subject but it is not a requirement that
>> Cygwin tools to be able to understand MS-DOS paths.  It's possible that
>> they
>> do, by coincidence, understand them but it is not a given that they will.
>
> Can I have a official statement from Cygwin about this? ie that bash is
> supporting MS-DOX path by accident and ksh won't and that is not a
> requirement of Cygwin?
>
> Or
>
> Can Cygwin adds the understanding of absolute DOS path as a requirement and
> fix the ksh stuff?

cgf is one of the Cygwin project leads. That statement above is about
as official as you can get.

http://cygwin.com/who.html

This is an open-source project. If you want ksh to be able to
understand DOS paths, you're welcome to take the source code and
change it so it does, or to pay someone to do it for you. You could
even submit the patches; if folk like the change (either the Cygwin's
ksh maintainer or ksh's upstream developers) it may make the official
releases and be supported from that point on.

For now, however, simply asking for something to change isn't going to
change it. Having every Cygwin package support DOS paths would be a
fairly major undertaking, and one I doubt anyone would be willing to
take on. Making ksh support them is more feasible, but someone has to
do the work, and I doubt you'll get any volunteers any time soon.