RE: cannot run setup64.exe without admin privileges (even if renamed foo.exe)

Ryan Johnson sent the following at Thursday, September 12, 2013 11:31 AM
>>> Try *copying* setup64.exe to foo.exe.  Or download it again but save it
>>> with the name foo.exe.
>>> Windows may be remembering that the file used to be called setup*.exe.
>>> That memory might not get copied.
>> Doesn't work: "the requested operation requires elevation".
>
>On 12/09/2013 11:26 AM, Frédéric Bron wrote: I have vague memories that
>someone (Corinna?) suggested copying the file to a USB key and back: the
>FAT filesystem can't track the permissions that cause this behavior.
>Never tested it myself, though (maybe I should, it would be nice to lose
>the UAC prompt).

Try this.

In a cmd.exe shell:

type setup64.exe > foo.exe

I did a cmp and the two files were identical (using 32 bit setup.exe).

I also tried in bash:

$ cat setup.exe > foo2.exe

Again the files were identical.  However, ls showed permission for foo.exe
(made under cmd) as rwx while foo2.exe made under bash was rw-.  Both open
fine from Windows Explorer.

- Barry