Re: xz -9 : Cannot allocate memory

Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
> Yes, looks normal and expected from what you observed.  mmap commits
> memory top-down and that was apparently the first free slot big enough
> to fullfil the request.  The default heap size is 384 Megs and then
> there's apparently not enough space anywhere.

Sorry if I'm dense, but does this mean that setting the default heap size to
zero does in fact mean it's trying to use 374MiB... wait, yes it is: the
memory map is the same when I'm setting the initial heap size to 384MiB with
peflags.

So, even though that rather large heap is essentially unused at the point of
failure and there is enough memory free just beyond the heap, the allocation
still fails because both the existing heap and the free space are both
smaller than what's requested?

> Keep in mind that a
> request of 674Mib is a third of the available VM on 32 bit machines.
> So, drop the heapsize and go with it, or use the -M option.

Will definitely do for my local xz package.  Actually, enlarging the initial
heap size to more than 674MiB will work as well, there's just these
intermediate heap sizes that will fail (and unfortunately the default heap
size is in that range).

Regards,
Achim.