Re: Why are the 32- and 64-bit cygwin1.dlls incompatible?

On Fri, Aug 23, 2013 at 3:16 PM, Christopher Faylor wrote:

> I was having a private chat with Corinna about this.
>
> Her doubts above mirror mine.  I wonder if this will add to the traffic
> from people who, e.g., expect their java apps to understand Cygwin ptys.
> Now we will have people who don't understand why their 32-bit screen
> doesn't work under 64-bit Cygwin mintty.
>
> The original error message was certainly not clear but maybe we need
> to have something like:
>
> "Can't run 32-bit Cygwin programs in a 64-bit Cygwin environment"

What about CYGWIN=32bitCygwinExec or some such?  And what about the
other direction?

It is clear that some operations cannot occur especially pty but that
is still true with execing any Windows program.  I don't see this
being too big an extra burden on support.

--
Earnie