Re: cygwin installed packages list without dependencies

On 8/20/2013 8:26 PM, DynV wrote:
Hello people of cygwin,

Now for my main concern. I'd like to migrate from cygwin to cigwin64 but I
have many packages on cygwin, the 32-bit version, that I'd need to install
as well on the destination version (64-bit) before the move is made. I'm not
sure which packages are still useful although most should be as I read
thoroughly for a long time the first cygwin install. I'd like to review the
packages then install the same (what passed the cleanup) on cygwin64.

I did a search and the best I found was to use /cygcheck -c/ so I did on the
origin, cygwin, which give me a bit over 450 packages (the destination of
the migration being cygwin64). This is quite a list and I might as well
start from scratch as I fist did (for the 32-bit version). I would very much
like to know which of the 450 something were installed as dependencies so I
can skip them, knowing they would be installed by installing the dependent.

IIRC on aptitude, on "regular" *nix, there was a flag is a package was a
dependency. So if there would be a way to reproduce such a structure and
list everything that wouldn't have such flag, it would be pretty much what
I'm looking for.

There's no set tool for determining the dependencies for a package or list
of packages, beyond "setup*.exe" that is.  Dependencies for all packages are
listed in the 'setup.ini' file, so you could process that to find the
optimal set to install.  But it may be just as easy, if not easier, for you
to pick a set of packages that you know you want, install them, and then
compare the list of installed packages from that round with your target.
You also want to keep in mind that some of the packages you currently
have installed may be obsolete now, so you wouldn't want to blindly just
install everything from your current set.  I'd recommend going for the
directed, iterative approach.

--
Larry