Re: cygwin sshd dumping stack trace when not allocating pseudo-tty

On Tue, 20 Aug 2013, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:

> On 8/20/2013 4:32 AM, Thorsten Glaser wrote:
> > On Mon, 19 Aug 2013, Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
> >
> > > and to understand the method you're using to login.
> >
> > SSH public-key auth, that is, RSA keys. (This is a requirement
> > because the process will run as batch job so we cannot use any
> > interactive auth method.)
>
> Understood but method 2 and 3 allow for this as well.  They use a
> very different way of "getting there".  One of these two methods
> could work for you.

Hm. I must admit Iâm a bit confused here, but AIUI if thereâs a
problem with logging in (the auth method or that the home directory
is on the domain controller), then I should be unable to login with
SSH key, without password, interactively, too â right?

As things stands:

ssh-key interactive â works
password interactive â works
ssh-key batch â doesnât work (-T, running a command, scp, rsync)
password batch â works

> It's telling you that cmd.exe doesn't understand UNC paths.  And that
> actually gives me an idea.  Can you create a local home directory

Hmm. When I login using ssh-key interactively, I get this:

tglase@tglase:~ $ ssh cygbox
Last login: Tue Aug 20 10:21:46 2013 from tglase.lan.tarent.de
tglase@cygbox:~$ pwd
//dc/tglase

So why would it work interactively but not in batch mode?

> and run ssh-user-config again to see if that helps?  If so, you can
> either continue to use this configuration or try method 3.
>
> Other things I noted:
>
>   1. You're running cygwin 1.7.9.  The current version is 1.7.24.  You
>      should upgrade.

I cannot âjustâ change things like this on the system unless
itâs known that not doing so fixes a problem (actually, the
system isnât even normally mine to administer, Iâm just helping
out).

>   2. Your CYGWIN environment variable contains "sshd".  You should
>      remove this.

Iâve got no idea where this is set; running a cygwin or CMD.EXE
doesnât set $CYGWIN or %CYGWIN%, respectively, at all.

>   3. You have an orphaned installation at the level of your C drive.
>      If you have not already, you should remove this installation.

No, thereâs precisely one Cygwin installation on that system,
which lives in C:\CYGWIN â I checked (even looked for stray
cygwin1.dll in e.g. windows\system32).

Thanks,
//mirabilos
--