Re: checkX problem or misunderstanding

On 8/4/2013 9:50 PM, wynfield@gmail.com wrote:
Larry Hall wrote:
Re: checkX

    $ checkX --version
      run2 0.4.2

checkX doesn't work as I understand the description below:

"DESCRIPTION
         Determines  if  X is installed, Xserver is running on specified DISPLAY
         and will accept clients. Returns 0 if yes, nonzero otherwise"

Environment / Procedure to duplicate the error:

   - I have an X11 server running, started in pty0, where I will test checkX

   - In this pty0, I start an X11 server, which from the xinitrc starts up another mintty
      terminal, pty1 with Display environment variable set to :0

   - Testing checkX in pty1 (which has DISPLAY set) returns a 0 or successful result.
     checkX :0  --> returns 0

   - Moving back to pty0 and running the same command with the same argument gives:
     checkX :0  --> return 1 and error condition or no server available.

However, if I simply manually set DISPLAY=:0 in pty0   X11 clients will run.

-  export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0
-  checkX :0  --> Nnw reports an o.k. this server is useable.

If one relied on checkX the runing server would be missed.  It is doing
nothing that a check if DISPLAY var is set or not andn then possible
testing it.  It should has used the value :0 I sent it and do some X11
stuff I am not aware of.

Perhaps we're misunderstanding your confusion here.  Can you explain what
about Chuck's description of checkX at the link below isn't clear?

<http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-08/msg00009.html>

--
Larry

It is clearly written in my message, in fact in imported it from the
checkX documentation. What part of the problem I'm describing is not clear
to you?

"DESCRIPTION
          Determines  if  X is installed, Xserver is running on specified DISPLAY
          and will accept clients. Returns 0 if yes, nonzero otherwise""

In fact:
   checkX :0 returns a false when, but the X11 server on :0 will accept client
requests.

I guess I'm not clear why you're not using the syntax Chuck recommends in
his message (see the link to it that I included above).  He stated you need
to use the '--display' flag.  Here's a quote from Chuck in that message:

You have to tell IT where you think the X server is running, and it
willtell you if it can contact a server there. So:

$ checkX --display=127.0.0.1:0.0
[exits with status value 0 or 1]

So, does that syntax work as Chuck described it?

--
Larry