Re: having 1 set of non-bin files w/separate {bin,lib}[32/64)? (was Re: please update the supported Cygwin package list ...)

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 10:19 PM, Linda Walsh wrote:
> Earnie Boyd wrote:
>>
>> However you the user have a choice of where to put things.  Frankly, I
>> would use /cygwin and /cygwin32
>
> ----
>         And how does that get you the autoredirection I suggested with
> the links in Windows/syswow64 and windows/system32?

You can't you have to segregate the environments.  You don't want to
touch Windows system directories even to put Windows symlinks.

You have two differing systems which can be controlled from the
Desktop via iconed shortcuts that starts one or the other.  Windows is
smart enough to know when you have a 64bit executable and when you
don't.  However, you don't want to clash the Cygwin runtime DLL (this
is true of two Cygwin DLL with the same bitness as well) but you may
get away with forking a 32bit Cygwin process from a 64bit Cygwin
process as long as the two environments are autonomous.  But I
wouldn't count on it not giving issues.

--
Earnie