Re: run2 operation

On 8/1/2013 8:40 AM, wynfield@gmail.com wrote:
Re: un2 0.4.2

$ checkX --verbose

"checkX Info: Unspecified X display (check --display in xml
<SelfOptions> or in cmdline; also check $DISPLAY environment
variable)."

But, Xwindows is running, and was started from this terminal sith
"startx &"

Shouldn't it be detected and the DISPLAY valued returned so that I
could set the DISPLAY variable for this mintty windows as well?

No, that's not what checkX is for. You have to tell IT where you think the X server is running, and it will tell you if it can contact a server there. So:

$ checkX --display=127.0.0.1:0.0
[exits with status value 0 or 1]

Really, checkX is just a testing tool, that shares/exercises a lot of the same under-the-hood code as run2. It's not really of that much use, except *perhaps* as below.

When I invoke run2 (from a shortcut with the example .xml file) it
also start a mintty terminal window, but I want it to start an
XWindow or at the least use the currntly running X server.

Mintty is not an X program. I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish, except perhaps to arrange that *within* the mintty/bash session, $DISPLAY is set correctly so that you can launch programs that DO need X successfully?

The running server is not detected to the xml's  "GDI" section of the
xml is used.

Right, if you don't tell it which display to contact, it doesn't guess. You don't really want your GnuCash session showing up on somebody else's XWindow display do you?

checkX is very good, but I wish it would detect a currently running X
server and report it'S DISPLAY value.

And how do you suggest it do that? Poll every reachable machine on the local network using arp, extract the IP addrs, then ask each one if they have a display on :0, :1, .. :99, and repeat?

I have just started with run2, so I'm not privy to a lot of it and
not xml savy yet.

Read /usr/share/doc/run2/*

Something like this .sh script might do what you want...but you'd probably want to launch it using a run2.xml <Global><Target/> (or plain old run.exe).

============== snip ===============
#!/bin/sh
export DISPLAY=127.0.0.1:0.0

start_XWin()
{
    # Cleanup from last run.
    rm -rf /tmp/.X11-unix

    XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -silent-dup-error 2>/dev/null &
}

/usr/bin/checkX || start_XWin

while ! /usr/bin/checkX
do
  ## printf "waiting for xserver to start\n"
  sleep 1
done
sleep 1
/usr/bin/urxvt-X &

But that really does nothing, that 'startxwin.exe' and ~/.startxwinrc already do better.

--
Chuck