Re: setup-x86_64: postinstall errors: Package bash 1, Package a2ps 2 and xinit 134

On Jul 23 15:08, Charles Wilson wrote:
But even if /bin/bash is elevated, it doesn't follow that any of the
tools launched within a script -- via cygwin's fork/exec method --
ALSO retain that elevation.

Does it?

Yes, it does.  CreateProcess propagates its own user token untouched.

Weird question.  Did you ever start an elevated shell and lost your
admin permissions in a child process?  If that would occur, nothing
would work right in an admin shell.  Even the `id' call would not show
the admins group in your supplementary group list.

OK. At one point I thought there was an issue with propagating elevation, but I guess not.

So...is it possible to launch setup*.exe in an UNelevated context (somehow bypassing the UAC detection, even though we don't ship a manifest)? Then, if the user selects 'Install for All Users' you would see this problem.

--
Chuck