Re: runing ./configure on gdb 7.5.50 sources

Ryan Johnson writes:

> On 09/01/2013 1:57 AM, Jose Munoz wrote:
> > I tried to build the original gdb sources, which I
> > downloaded using setup.exe and selecting them.
> >
> > Without modifying any source code of gdb, I run ./configure from my
> > source folder:
> >
> > C:\cygwin\usr\src\gdb-7.5.50-1
> >
> > After a set of checks, configure hangs at the gnum4 check, at least
> > more than 2 hours.
> I've never seen this exact error, but my first step in diagnosing
> configure issues is to check config.log for anomalies.

I'm using gdb-7.6.50-2 on cygwin 1.7.22-1. All freshly updated today.
I don't have this gnum4 problem.

> Also, you're not supposed to configure gdb in /under the directory
> containing its own sources. Try creating a "gdb-obj" somewhere else and
> then ../gdb-src/configure

I do this.

> > I also tried to run ./configure from the gdb folder
> > (C:\cygwin\usr\src\gdb-7.5.50-1\gdb), but in this case, after a longer
> > output, configure gives the following error message:
> >
> > "checking for Tcl private headers... configure: error: could not find
> > private Tcl headers"

I do have this problem as well (also when running the configure from
gdb-7.6.50-2 and then make).

> You probably need to install some tcl*-dev package.

There are no tcl*dev packages in cygwin.

Checking this a bit closer I see that this error is generated when looking
for tclInt.h. The relevant autoconf code in gdb/acinclude.m4:

AC_DEFUN([CY_AC_TCL_PRIVATE_HEADERS], [
  AC_MSG_CHECKING([for Tcl private headers])
  private_dir=""
  dir=`echo ${TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC}/tcl-private/generic | sed -e s/-I//`
  if test -f ${dir}/tclInt.h ; then
    private_dir=${dir}
  fi

Further investigation shows that
- this file exists in cygwin as /usr/include/tcl8.5/generic/tclInt.h
- /usr/lib/tclConfig.sh sets TCL_INCLUDE_SPEC='-I/usr/include'
- there is no /usr/include/tcl-private
- a similar problem exists in the next check CY_AC_TK_PRIVATE_HEADERS which
checks for ${TK_INCLUDE_SPEC}/tk-private/generic/tkInt.h, which is in fact
in /usr/include/tcl8.5/generic/tkInt.h.

A look in the tcl source package of cygwin shows that it has a tcl.m4 which
checks for ${TCL_SRC_DIR}/generic/tclInt.h

So, it seems to be that gdb/acinclude.m4 is incorrect and should use
TCL_SRC_DIR as well.

I can get round this problem by doing the following

cd /usr/include
ln -s tcl8.5 tcl-private
ln -s tcl8.5 tk-private

Kris