Re: Issue with run.exe and PWD with spaces since last update (Cygwin 1.7.21)

Uhm.  In that case, if ew *really* think your tools are the only
affected ones, Why do we bother to fix libcmain.c?  Can't you then
simply provide your own main() in case of building for Cygwin?

Perhaps, but I'm not sure of the ramifications. I think if you have a main() then you're going to get STD_HANDLES. Plus there's the whole concern about launching run[2].exe itself without a cmdbox, when it is used as a shortcut target.

This whole entrypoint thing is tied up in that, or at least it used to be. Now, that may ONLY apply to the mingw[64]-compiled version, in which case I could do a

#ifdef __CYGWIN__
int main (int argc, char** argv)
{
   return realmain(argc, argv);
}
#endif
and avoid the -e WinMain@16 link argument. (Except I think I arrange to only do -e WinMain@16 on mingw...hmm...)

If you look closely at WinMain, it basically parses the result from GetCommandLine() into argc,argv, and then delegates. The only conceivable reason to do that, rather than just have a main(), was if you NEED to use WinMain() as the entry point for some other reason. Like ensuring that you "work" when compiled as a non-console app and don't pop up a dosbox...

--
Chuck