Re: Regression with 1.7.20-1

On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 03:09:11PM +0000, Patrick Jane wrote:
>On Jun 10 03:28, Steven Penny wrote:
>> ...To add more information, running the pipe
>>
>>   ffmpeg -codecs | grep mov
>>
>> with 1.7.20-1 just hangs forever, even will ignore Ctrl-C
>

>Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin <at> cygwin.com> writes:
>> There's no ffmpeg in the Cygwin distro.  Is that a Cygwin or a native
>> tool?  I guess the latter, in which case you may want to try the
>> latest developer snapshot 2013-06-08 from http://cygwin.com/snapshots/
>

>I am pretty sure that I am seeing the same bug with 1.7.20-1 that Steven
>reports.
>
>In my case, I have 4 bash scripts that run in parallel processes.  2 of
>those scripts launch Java programs.  The bug that I see is that Ctrl-C fails
>to kill the Java processes, when it used to work.  The Java command, of
>course, is not built into cygwin but is the Windows program (which you can
>call from cygwin).  I am running Win 7 pro 64 bit.
>
>Being nervous about installing snapshots, I followed Steven's workaround and
>just reran setup.exe, selecting for Base --> cygwin the suggested previous
>version, 1.7.18-1, and installed that.  That old version works perfectly:
>Ctrl-C behaves exactly as expected.
>
>Corinna, do you know when the next prd worthy release of cygwin is likely to
>come out?  Or do I need to monitor http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/
>every day to find out?

There is no reason to be nervous about installing snapshots if you think
a new release will solve a problem.  A snapshot potentially always
equals a new release.  Snapshots never break things so severely that you
can't recover by just reinstalling cygwin.

And, yes, you should follow cygwin or cygwin-announce for update
announcements.

>I note that Ctrl-C bugs seem to occur semi-regularly with cygwin:
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-03/msg00654.html
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2013-04/msg00001.html
>http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2012-04/msg00365.html

Those are likely all the same issue.

>I wonder why?  Complex mismatch between unix and Windows signal handling
>that cygwin must bridge?

http://cygwin.com/acronyms#WJM

cgf