Re: Suggestion: improve cross-compiling ability

On Mon, Jul 8, 2013 at 5:07 AM, Fedin Pavel <p.fedin@samsung.com> wrote:
>  Hello! I have got one small idea on how to improve compatibility with
> cross-compiling Linux software. This time it's glibc.
>
>  At certain point glibc's rpcgen program (which is being compiled for host),
> relies on '#ifndef __u_char_defined' and '#ifndef __daddr_t_defined' in
> order to determine presence of 'u_char' and 'daddr_t' respectively (see
> libc/sunrpc/rpc/types.h). I have to patch this to add _BSDTYPES_DEFINED
> check in order to be able to cross-build glibc under Cygwin.
>  What if we add also these Linux-style definitions to our includes ?
>
>  P.S. I understand that actually it's glibc needs fixing because the same
> will happen on any other non-Linux OS. But i believe FSF will simply say "we
> don't care" and won't accept this fix.

Why wouldn't they care?  Even if you're right about them "not caring,"
you stand to lose nothing by giving them the chance to surprise you
favorably.

I don't know anything about _BSDTYPES_DEFINED but it sounds like some
autotools solution is already in place, which defines
__{u_char,daddr_t}_defined; it's hard to imagine a patch fixing that
autotools stuff to correctly differentiate cbuild from ctarget would
be poo-poo'ed by the glibc folks (or, for that matter, whatever
upstream glibc's autotools scripts might be relying on for this).

-gmt