Re: autoreconf/gettext puzzle (was Re: sed match DOS end of line)

On Jun 27 10:42, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2013-06-27 09:49, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >Ok, here's me, even more puzzled.  FIW, the 4.2.2 packages have *not*
> >been built the same way as the 4.2.1 package.  The difference is running
> >autoreconf (4.2.2) vs. not running autoreconf (4.2.1).
>
> Were these natively compiled or cross-compiled?  The latter pulls in
> gnulib functions in place of libc's (Cygwin) without intervention
> during configure.
>
> >If I build sed with the auto configury unchanged, I'm back to an sed
> >which handles the CR just as the old sed 4.2.1 package:
> >
> >   $ sed --version | head -1
> >   sed (GNU sed) 4.2.2
> >   $ od -c eol
> >   0000000   e   n   d   o   f   l   i   n   e  \r  \n
> >   0000013
> >   $ sed 's/e$/X/' < eol
> >   endoflinX
> >
> >However, 4.2.2-1 and 4.2.2-2 packages have been built running autoreconf
> >first, which, besides other things, updates the included gettext stuff
> >from version 0.17 to version 0.18.1.
> >
> >So I'm wondering if the latest gettext is the culprit here, but I'm not
> >fluent enough in the differences within gettext to see where the problem
> >is.
>
> I doubt it; as long as libintl is dynamically linked, the gettext
> build infrastructure just handles .po.mo rules.

Yeah, I seem to be entirely on the wrong track, sorry about that.

I'm just inspecting the sources and it seems that the read mode of
files has changed from "rt" to "r" between 4.2.1 and 4.2.2 for some
reason.

I'm still digging, and I'm unsure how I could create a version of
sed 4.2.2 which did the right thing at all a couple of minutes ago.

Still digging...

Corinna

Red Hat