autoreconf/gettext puzzle (was Re: sed match DOS end of line)

On Jun 27 16:24, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jun 27 13:28, Paul Becker wrote:

Ok, here's me, even more puzzled.  FIW, the 4.2.2 packages have *not*
been built the same way as the 4.2.1 package.  The difference is running
autoreconf (4.2.2) vs. not running autoreconf (4.2.1).

If I build sed with the auto configury unchanged, I'm back to an sed
which handles the CR just as the old sed 4.2.1 package:

  $ sed --version | head -1
  sed (GNU sed) 4.2.2
  $ od -c eol
  0000000   e   n   d   o   f   l   i   n   e  \r  \n
  0000013
  $ sed 's/e$/X/' < eol
  endoflinX

However, 4.2.2-1 and 4.2.2-2 packages have been built running autoreconf
first, which, besides other things, updates the included gettext stuff
from version 0.17 to version 0.18.1.

So I'm wondering if the latest gettext is the culprit here, but I'm not
fluent enough in the differences within gettext to see where the problem
is.

Chuck?  Yaakov?  Do you have any explanation or, even better, a
workaround for this phenomenon, other than not running autoreconf?

Anyway, for the time being, I'll upload 4.2.2-3 packages shortly which
has been build without running autoreconf, which will fix the CRLF vs.
LF problem.

Corinna

Red Hat