Re: Using cygpath with backticks

The test case I provided was a simplified version of what I intend to use it for.

Andrew is correct in that '$@' is not evaluated in the context of an alias and I would need to wrap up my intended alias in a function.

Thanks. I was having a brain fart there.

On 6/22/2013 11:58 AM, Andrew DeFaria wrote:
On 06/22/2013 08:39 AM, Matt D. wrote:
Maybe I've just had a long week but I can't seem to get this to work:

alias pathw='echo `cygpath -w "$@"`'
pathw "/cygdrive/g/"

I also tried:

alias pathw='echo $(cygpath -w "$@")'

cygpath just yells at me that I'm doing something wrong.
Try a real function:

$ function pathw {
 > echo $(cygpath -w "$@")
 > }
$ pathw /cygdrive/c
C:\
$

I don't think that $@ is evaluated in the context of an alias.

However, if all you are doing is echoing out the Windows path for a
posix path then that's already what cygpath does. And the following also
would work:

$ alias pathw='cygpath -w'
$ pathw /cygdrive/c
C:\