Updating Git

Would it be possible for the Git maintainer to update Git to a more recent
version than 1.7.9, which was released almost 18 months ago?  Git is now on
v1.8.3.1.

Alternatively, I'd be willing to take over the maintainership, although there
may be initial teething difficulties as I've only just managed to get Git
building on my machine, still see it failing some test cases, and have not
maintained a Cygwin package previously.

--
Adam Dinwoodie

Messages posted to this list are made in a personal capacity.