Re: Mandatory file locking semantics

On 6/5/2013 11:02, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
The burden to use it correctly is
on the application developer.

That's always true, for all APIs.

If a design change can make it more likely that application developers will use it correctly, shouldn't the design be changed?

It's not like anyone is actually depending on this yet. Granted, it's now present in a release version of Cygwin, but you declared it preliminary. I don't see that anyone can complain if the design changes before it's declared stable.

What does the fcntl(F_LCK_MANDATORY) design have to recommend it, other than "it already exists"?

Understand, I'm not rejecting your gift to the community. If this is all I can have, I'm glad to have it. This may be your job, but you aren't my employee, so I don't feel any expectation that you should do what I want. I'm just asking nicely.